The “Sunnyvale Mandala” represents aspects of California city of Sunnyvale's cultural identity by codifying the names the community has used through time. It employs the Ohlone concept of cyclical time as a model for its structure. “Polsolmi” is the name the Ohlone gave to this area. The Spanish named it “Rancho Pastoria de las Borregas.” After annexation by the United States, “Muryphy’s Station.” The title “Sunnyvale” brings us to its agricultural past and technological present.
The piece consists of two six foot diameter painted aluminum disks with water-jet cut elements attached to two square cast conrete support units. These pieces flank the main retail entrance of this residential development on Elko Drive.
In the slides, a guide to each symbol from 4000 BC arrowheads, to El Camino Real bells to images of various fruits grown there. In the background an integrated circuit design permeates from the 1944 inception of the high tech industry.